Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default How do I create an opening for a wall A/C unit?

On 9 May 2007 13:57:37 -0700, wrote:

On May 9, 1:36 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
wrote:
I want to install a small wall A/C unit in a bedroom of my condo.
The other side of the wall I will install the unit in is a storage
room with no drywall. The studs are spaced 16" apart and the A/C
unit is 17-18" wide. I am handy with saws, etc. I just don't know
how to create the opening without compromising the strength of the
wall. Are there any tutorials or pictures on how this should look?
Thanks.

Do you have AC in the rest of the apartment? Maybe they'll ltet you
put a little fanr in the duct so that more of it gets to the bedroom.
They make fans for that purpose. Maybe with a switch so that you can
turn it off when you want more in the rest of the place.

There are also regular fans that would go in the door way and blow
cool air from the rest of the apartment.

I'm not sure how you would be hurting everyone's property values like
jjim says (nor am I sure you're not. I don't understand his point
yet.) but it still started me thinking of other methods.

I can't imainge your apartment doesn't have AC AND they won't let you
put one in. Personnally, unless I could cool the room off before I
went to sleep, and then leave the ac off all night, I would not want
one in the room with me. But if you are going to leave the central
air on all night anyway, there should be a way to get more cool air
from it.

OT: I don't even like the noise my central air makes, but my furnace
is old. Someday when I get a newer one, I guess it will have a slower
fan speed.

But today a neighbor was getting a new furnace and I scrounged all the
parts I wanted from her old one. I only wanted the control box, but
it was screwed to the oil pump and blower, and spark transformer, etc.
It may keep my furnace going a couple years longer than otherwise,
depeding on what breaks.)

You own the storage room too? If not - even if you do - you need to
check with your condo board of directors. One owns the interior
surface of one's walls, not the outside...they are common property and
may not normally be changed.