Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default How do I create an opening for a wall A/C unit?

On 9 May 2007 13:57:37 -0700, wrote:

On May 9, 1:36 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
wrote:
I want to install a small wall A/C unit in a bedroom of my condo.
The other side of the wall I will install the unit in is a storage
room with no drywall. The studs are spaced 16" apart and the A/C
unit is 17-18" wide. I am handy with saws, etc. I just don't know
how to create the opening without compromising the strength of the
wall. Are there any tutorials or pictures on how this should look?
Thanks.

If you are only trying to cool one room, I would think almost any AC
would be big enoug, but... bearing in mind that I don't know much
about this, I'm wondering if you will need bigger than minimum.

The output froom the AC will still heat the air in the little room
even if the door is open. And that will make the AC less efficient, I
think, because the cooler the air outside or in the closet, the better
the AC works. I suppose that it might actually be cooler in the
little room than it is outside now. Will it stay that way? I would
think not. I would think it would become hotter than would be an
ouside area that surrounds an room AC.