Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default ideas to repair my genie garage door opener ?

robb wrote:
Equipment:
I have genie g5050 1/2 hp screw drive opener (about 12 years old) and a
20 ft (1 piece) wooden door with 2 center mounted torsion springs and cable
drums on the outer sides.

Argh, those one piece wooden doors are a PITA. I had one on a rental
property that I own. It's a townhouse complex with 12 units. Over time,
most of the owners have had to remove the one piece door and install a
tracked door. Between the warpage of the door (that causes binding) and
the weight of the door, the openers didn't last all that long. If you
got 12 years on a 1/2 HP opener with a 20 foot one piece door then count
yourself very lucky. I kept my one piece wooden door longer than most
owners, but I was out there changing springs, and planing the door when
the wood swelled and binded.

What i tried:
1- checked and tightened all hinges,
2- move door up/down to check for binding.
3- cleaned then adjusted the safety tension on the rear of opener

appreciate any more helpful ideas

Replace the GDO with a 3/4 HP unit or replace the garage door with a
tracked door and get a new 1/2 HP unit.

With no door attached, the opener should run longer than 4-5 seconds,
depending on the settings of the limit switches.