Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default How do I create an opening for a wall A/C unit?

On May 9, 11:43 am, wrote:
I want to install a small wall A/C unit in a bedroom of my condo. The
other side of the wall I will install the unit in is a storage room
with no drywall. The studs are spaced 16" apart and the A/C unit is
17-18" wide. I am handy with saws, etc. I just don't know how to
create the opening without compromising the strength of the wall. Are
there any tutorials or pictures on how this should look? Thanks.

Get any book on window framing and see how the openings are made and
you will be OK. Practice your toenailing technique to get a neat job
and choose some better-than-box-store lumber for the new opening.
For your maximum efficiency consider some permanent venting in the
storage room, like a high up louvered opening and a ground level vent
to supply cool air. HTH

Joe