Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default attaching framing studs to poured concrete

According to dpb :
On May 9, 9:26 am, (Chris Lewis) wrote:
According to dpb :

I'm in agreement w/ the others who suggest either renting the Hilti or
buying a cheap Remington powder-actuated gun, so nothing new there.

You don't need a hilti to drive tapcons.

To each his own...I far prefer the powder-actuated route, particularly
if it's an old, really hard cured slab. The Remington is pretty
inexpensive and unless it really is only a one-time and one never does
this kind of thing except once in their life, once you got it, you
have it for whenever/whatever...

True enough. But, I put in a lot more wall in our basement than the
OP is going to, the floor is over 20 years old, and all the drilling
together amounted to about an hour and a half with a wimpy cordless
hammer drill. With a good AC powered hammer drill (not even a hilti),
it would have totalled about 15 minutes.

It seems like lots of general contractors prefer the tapcon/hammer drill
route too.

I'd use the a power hammer so rarely that I'd worry about losing
the durn thing, plus having to fuss about which power load to use.

And it's a teensy bit more difficult to adjust if you change your
mind ;-)

[I _hate_ nails ;-)]

As someone else also noted, remember to use treated for the sill plate
if in contact w/ the floor slab and the idea of a membrane between is
excellent if it's a below-grade slab particularly.

The membrane and or a piece of vapor barrier plastic (staple edges
to side or top of sill) substitutes for treated lumber.

Perhaps although I've never had a treated sill plate fail on a dry
slab if there weren't a real water problem. Again, personal
preference...

Building code here _requires_ the plastic. It doesn't require treated.
While treated makes a lot of sense, especially as perimeter sills in
termite areas, it's generally not necessary for interior partition walls
if you've otherwise solved the floor moisture transfer issue.

Some people just don't like treated lumber inside the building
envelope in any event.
--
Chris Lewis,