Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default attaching framing studs to poured concrete

On May 9, 9:26 am, (Chris Lewis) wrote:
According to dpb :

I'm in agreement w/ the others who suggest either renting the Hilti or
buying a cheap Remington powder-actuated gun, so nothing new there.

You don't need a hilti to drive tapcons.

To each his own...I far prefer the powder-actuated route, particularly
if it's an old, really hard cured slab. The Remington is pretty
inexpensive and unless it really is only a one-time and one never does
this kind of thing except once in their life, once you got it, you
have it for whenever/whatever...

As someone else also noted, remember to use treated for the sill plate
if in contact w/ the floor slab and the idea of a membrane between is
excellent if it's a below-grade slab particularly.

The membrane and or a piece of vapor barrier plastic (staple edges
to side or top of sill) substitutes for treated lumber.

Perhaps although I've never had a treated sill plate fail on a dry
slab if there weren't a real water problem. Again, personal
preference...