Posted to uk.d-i-y
NoSpam NoSpam is offline

Default Building a woodworking bench

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 8 May 2007 15:24:22 -0700, " wrote:

Prepping it for bench dogs

Axminster's square dogs are good, but they're 11 quid a pair and they'll
bite a plane iron if you're ever careless. Maple and a wooden holding
spring is much cheaper, lighter to drop on your foot and safer for your
tools.

I was thinking of drilling 18mm'ish holes when/where I need them, making
them blind with a plate underneath, and then using hardwood pegs.
Alternatively, boring larger circular holes (maybe 50-60mm) and fitting
hardwood inserts which would carry a hardwood square dog. I guess a
spring can be easily fitted to the square dog with a piece of ply, how
do people put springs on circular dogs?

Dave