Posted to alt.home.repair
harlen harlen is offline

Default ideas to repair my genie garage door opener ?

"robb" wrote in message
nk.net...
Equipment:
I have genie g5050 1/2 hp screw drive opener (about 12 years old) and a
20 ft (1 piece) wooden door with 2 center mounted torsion springs and
cable
drums on the outer sides.

the GD repair company installed new springs and adjusted door about 1 year
ago, door looks straight/level and lifts fairly easily about half way up
it
starts to go by itself a little and stops.

Problem:
Door started kicking back up 1/2 way down about 3 weeks ago. this slowly
got worse. Then door started to stall/stop about 1/2 way up. Now door
will
kick back after couple inches travel in either direction starting at any
position you set the door.

if i disengage the door from opener and turn it on the screw will turn for
about 4-5 seconds then stop. i thought it used to just keep going till you
hit the button again ???

What i tried:
1- checked and tightened all hinges,
2- move door up/down to check for binding.
3- cleaned then adjusted the safety tension on the rear of opener

appreciate any more helpful ideas

My old genie screw type opener had a clutch. It sounds like the clutch is
slipping causing the motor to stop. There is a double nut that is spring
loaded and the nuts are located at the back of the screw shaft.