Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Building a woodworking bench

On 2007-05-08 22:01:01 +0100, NoSpam said:

Anybody got any pointers to designs for woodworking benches?

I'm sketching-out some ideas for a woodworking bench top to fit on an
existing sturdy metal frame. The top's going to be 1500x660
(overhanging slightly at each end), a tool well at the back, a quick
release vice set on the front and a standard vice on the end. Probably
also a removable panel to drop-in a router.
Buying/laminating loads of Beech strips seems like too much work and
expense so I'm thinking of laminating 3 layers of 18mm ply (or maybe
MDF) and edging it with some 30mm wide Beech. There'll be a sacrificial
layer of 6mm MDF on the top that will get changed when necessary. Does
this sound sensible?
Any suggestions for stockists of thicker ply? or HDF, or Beech kitchen
worktops at a sensible price?

Dave
(I'll post this in rec.woodworking too)

It really depends on what you are planning to use the bench to do.
If you need a surface that will remain flat and stable and stand up to
punishment, then it needs to be solid and substantial.

There are some quite reasonable ideas at plansnow,com

If you take a look at their Heavy Duty Workbench it is made in roughly
the way you are suggesting for the surface.
The key to the method (or any other bench) is having a sturdy frame
underneath the surface to support the top.