Posted to uk.d-i-y
NoSpam NoSpam is offline

Default Building a woodworking bench

Anybody got any pointers to designs for woodworking benches?

I'm sketching-out some ideas for a woodworking bench top to fit on an
existing sturdy metal frame. The top's going to be 1500x660 (overhanging
slightly at each end), a tool well at the back, a quick release vice set
on the front and a standard vice on the end. Probably also a removable
panel to drop-in a router.
Buying/laminating loads of Beech strips seems like too much work and
expense so I'm thinking of laminating 3 layers of 18mm ply (or maybe
MDF) and edging it with some 30mm wide Beech. There'll be a sacrificial
layer of 6mm MDF on the top that will get changed when necessary. Does
this sound sensible?
Any suggestions for stockists of thicker ply? or HDF, or Beech kitchen
worktops at a sensible price?

Dave
(I'll post this in rec.woodworking too)