Posted to alt.home.repair
charlie charlie is offline

Default How to remove glue from glass table

"Oren" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 May 2007 12:53:42 -0700, "charlie"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
. ..
On 7 May 2007 12:33:12 -0700, wrote:

Is it possible that what you are describing as glue is actually clear
silicone caulking? Is it pliable? If so, you can probably cut the
top
loose with a sharp knife.

If it isn't clear silicone caulking, I don't have any suggestion for
you,
other than to try different solvents - start with water and go from
there.

Honestly, I don't know if it's clear silicone caulking. I have very
little knowledge when it comes to adhesives. But, it's not pliable.
The top glass plate is firmly attached, and it can't be moved even
with great force.

I would at least try a hair dryer. Maybe some heat will soften it up.

too much heat, and you'd probably crack the glass. i'd be really careful
doing this.

I would guess the metal would draw most of the heat, little as it
would be with a hair dryer. Tempered glass should not crack under this
heat, unless I'm wrong. The table should be tempered glass?

dining tables are almost never tempered. in years of cutting them up, i've
never encountered one.

the metal is not touching the glass (it has the glue/plastic/whatever in
between), so won't draw out any heat.

tempered glass resists heat better than non-tempered. a hot pot on a
non-tempered glass table will crack it. a hair dryer would easily reach the
temps of a hot pot. the problem is localized heat differentials setting up
stress points in the glass. if you could raise the heat across the complete
sheet at the same time, this wouldn't happen. if the glass was scratched
where you're heating it, it would be even worse, as the scratch will locally
lessen the strength.

--
Oren

..through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in
the photo..

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts