Posted to rec.woodworking
Chuck Chuck is offline

Default ROS to etch glass?

On May 4, 9:31 pm, Mike in Arkansas wrote:
On May 4, 9:04 am, Chuck wrote:

On May 2, 6:11 pm, Mike in Arkansas wrote:

Anyone have any luck using a random orbital sander to etch glass? If
so, what kind of paper would be best and which grit? This glass is to
go into my new kitchen cabinet divided light doors as the patterned
glass I had planned on using proved to be to expensive an option. I
can sand blast but thought the ROS might be faster and give a more
consistent pattern. Thanks

Mike,

Chances of getting an acceptable finish with ROS are very unlikely,
Sandblasting and acid cream are options, but it is difficult for
someone, even with experience, to get get a uniform etch. If you are
using double strength window glass (1/8" nom), which is pretty
inexpensive, you could buy some extras to give it a try and see how it
comes out. You could also ask your local glass shop if they carry or
can get frosted glass for a reasonable price. If none of these pan
out, you could buy the applied film from any local window tinting shop
or have them do it for you.

Chuck (the glazier)

Thanks Chuck. Can double strength be cut by a homeowner or would I
need to get everything cut to size at a glass shop?
SW, Thats an interesting idea. Unfortunatly, I don't have enough
rabbit depth to mount two pieces of glass back to back.- Hide quoted text -

Mike,

It can be cut pretty easily but you risk breaking it and won't gain
much by doing it yourself. Most glass shops I know of charge by the
sq. ft. (not by the cut) so you might as well let them cut it to size
for you.

Chuck