Posted to rec.woodworking

Default ROS to etch glass?

Anyone have any luck using a random orbital sander to etch glass? If
so, what kind of paper would be best and which grit? This glass is to
go into my new kitchen cabinet divided light doors as the patterned
glass I had planned on using proved to be to expensive an option. I
can sand blast but thought the ROS might be faster and give a more
consistent pattern. Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike in Arkansas" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone have any luck using a random orbital sander to etch glass? If
so, what kind of paper would be best and which grit? This glass is to
go into my new kitchen cabinet divided light doors as the patterned
glass I had planned on using proved to be to expensive an option. I
can sand blast but thought the ROS might be faster and give a more
consistent pattern. Thanks

you could try etching cream, although it's hard to get a very even etch.
blasting is best, and would be quicker than both cream and an ros.

you can use adhesive shelf paper for a quick and easy resist if you blast or
use cream.

your ros should do it, but not very well. use some emery paper instead of
sand paper, and have good dust collection (with a HEPA filter) or do it
outside with a breeze behind you. you DO NOT want to breath the dust
produced.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2 May, 23:11, Mike in Arkansas wrote:
Anyone have any luck using a random orbital sander to etch glass?

Nope. Terribly sensitive to the relative flatness of the glass and the
sander. Results are usually ugly. Silicon carbide paper is needed.

Best technique is to use an air-powered grit blaster. Dead easy to
use, easy to get good even results, even on curves. Masks well with
self-adhesive plastic films too. if you don't have blasting kit, try a
glazier.

I won't handle etching creams as hydrofluoric acid is just far too
dangerous to work with.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Vinyl sign makers use an adhesive vinyl that looks like etched
glass. It's easier and cheaper than doing it with a sander,
and most people won't know the difference.

Mike in Arkansas wrote:
Anyone have any luck using a random orbital sander to etch glass? If
so, what kind of paper would be best and which grit? This glass is to
go into my new kitchen cabinet divided light doors as the patterned
glass I had planned on using proved to be to expensive an option. I
can sand blast but thought the ROS might be faster and give a more
consistent pattern. Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 3, 4:11 pm, Mike Berger wrote:
Vinyl sign makers use an adhesive vinyl that looks like etched
glass. It's easier and cheaper than doing it with a sander,
and most people won't know the difference.

I've been looking at the vinyl films. They come in different textures
and might go that way. I have an old craftsman siphon sand blaster
that came with my 2 hp compressor and I used to use it a bit on
glass. But, I have a wide expanse of glass to do and was worried
about getting an even etch with it. Plus it's dirty as hell and you
really need a cabinet or a filter and a hood for your face. In my
younger days I used to use it without breathing protection or a hood
and used fine silica sand. Figure I'm lucky to still be brething.
Knock on wood. Another option I have considered is handmade botanical
paper with a backing of some sort, but long term cleanliness might be
a problem. Thanks everyone for the input.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 2, 6:11 pm, Mike in Arkansas wrote:
Anyone have any luck using a random orbital sander to etch glass? If
so, what kind of paper would be best and which grit? This glass is to
go into my new kitchen cabinet divided light doors as the patterned
glass I had planned on using proved to be to expensive an option. I
can sand blast but thought the ROS might be faster and give a more
consistent pattern. Thanks

Mike,

Chances of getting an acceptable finish with ROS are very unlikely,
Sandblasting and acid cream are options, but it is difficult for
someone, even with experience, to get get a uniform etch. If you are
using double strength window glass (1/8" nom), which is pretty
inexpensive, you could buy some extras to give it a try and see how it
comes out. You could also ask your local glass shop if they carry or
can get frosted glass for a reasonable price. If none of these pan
out, you could buy the applied film from any local window tinting shop
or have them do it for you.

Chuck (the glazier)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike in Arkansas wrote:
Anyone have any luck using a random orbital sander to etch glass? If
so, what kind of paper would be best and which grit? This glass is to
go into my new kitchen cabinet divided light doors as the patterned
glass I had planned on using proved to be to expensive an option. I
can sand blast but thought the ROS might be faster and give a more
consistent pattern. Thanks

Or, you can sandwich wax paper between two clear glass sheets. I made
a projector screen with this method and it worked well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 4, 9:04 am, Chuck wrote:
[...]

Thanks Chuck. Can double strength be cut by a homeowner or would I
need to get everything cut to size at a glass shop?
SW, Thats an interesting idea. Unfortunatly, I don't have enough
rabbit depth to mount two pieces of glass back to back.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 4, 9:31 pm, Mike in Arkansas wrote:
On May 4, 9:04 am, Chuck wrote:

[...]

rabbit depth to mount two pieces of glass back to back.- Hide quoted text -

Mike,

It can be cut pretty easily but you risk breaking it and won't gain
much by doing it yourself. Most glass shops I know of charge by the
sq. ft. (not by the cut) so you might as well let them cut it to size
for you.

Chuck

ROS efgh Woodworking 5 September 6th 06 07:26 PM
Making an etch mask Will Metalworking 7 March 1st 06 05:28 PM
Etch/primer/paint for aluminum panel? Tim Shoppa Metalworking 10 June 14th 05 04:38 AM
PC ROS Sam the Cat Woodworking 6 March 10th 05 06:15 PM
PCB Etch Film Reusable Stencil? Okidokee Electronics 1 October 5th 04 10:11 AM