Posted to talk.politics.medicine,alt.home.repair,talk.religion.bahai,talk.atheism,talk.politics.libertarian
[email protected] bobcrowley@dodo.com.au is offline

Default Neither an abortion nor an unplanned childbirth is palatable

On May 7, 4:36 am, (Luminoso) wrote:
On 6 May 2007 10:37:06 -0700, wrote:

Neither an abortion nor an unplanned childbirth is palatable.

Once a woman's pregnant, the damage has been done.

Children are "damage" ??? That's a worrisome way of
looking at your fellow human beings.

In the abortion debate, both sides should focus on the use of birth
control, before a pregnancy occurs.

If people use two forms of birth control there is virtually no risk of
pregnancy.

Hormonal & Condoms
Hormonal & Pull-Out
Hormonal & Diaphragm
Condoms & Pull-Out
Condoms & Diaphragm
Diaphragm & Pull-Out

Risk of accidental pregnancy BEST case scenario assuming PERFECT use
Per Year (assuming 100 sex acts) Per Act
No protection 8 in 10 (1 in 1.25) 1 in 125
Condoms 1 in 50 1 in 5,000
Birth Control 1 in 333 1 in 33,300
Condoms & Birth Control 1 in 1,665,000 1 in 166,500,000

Given 100,000,000 women of child bearing age (ages 14-59),
Unplanned pregnancies result: 100,000,000/1,665,000= 60

Most of the 'anti-abortion' fanatics I encounter are just
using "abortion" as a proxy for a more general erotophobic
attitude. They'd rather people (except maybe themselves)
simply NOT HAVE ANY SEX. It's the old definition of a
'puritan' here, someone who lies awake at night worried
that somebody, somewhere, might be having a good time.
They equate pain and self-denial with "superiority" and
"holiness". Some kind of mental illness IMHO ...

In any case, in this light, discussion of effective
contraception with the anti-abortionists will yeild
a response opposite to what you may expect. To them,
contraceptives = "sex for fun" and fun is BAD. Better
to scourge youself with a cat-o-nine-tails whilst
quoting scripture ...- Hide quoted text -

Abortion kills a human being, one dependent on the mother granted, but
then so is any newborn infant for quite some time. A very young child
cannot feed itself, turn on the tap, clean itself or anything else.

We in the Christian camp believe in a judgement. Basically that is
the point of it all. Killing unborn children is a sure way to earn
God's wrath, as much as killing adults is a sure way to earn such
judgement. Anybody who has an abortion will be convicted of murder in
the divine court, regardless of motive. The devil is trying very hard
to get it legitimised, as he knows he can lay claim to a great many
souls because of abortion. Men legalising it will not change God's
mind. All it will do is increase the number of eternal condemnations.

The problem is that we don't seem to see the judgement in action now -
injustice and cruelty often seem to get away with it. In the end
however Christ rose from the dead, after Himself being a victim of
injustice, having been done to a cruel death by other men. That if
you like is the guarantee that justice will be done, but only after
death, which comes to us all without exception. That's the risk we
take.

His words to the Pharisees however were "How can you hope to escape
being condemned to Hell?"

Where have the Pharisees been for the last 2000 years?

What anti-abortionists are trying to avoid is not just the destruction
of the unborn children, but also the judgement which will descend on
all those party to abortion when they die, IF THEY HAVE NOT REPENTED.
They can repent, and I wrote in another post that in the Catholic
church, abortion brings instant excommunication. However it can be
forgiven and the excommunication lifted by the local post.

Discussing contraceptive methods misses the point. I am a Catholic by
choice, and I for one disagree with the church's ruling on the Pill.
But at the same time, whether one uses a contraceptive or not, killing
an unborn child will incur God's judgement. That's what we're on
about.