Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Garden Hose reel that works!

On May 5, 11:16 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

oups.com...

On May 5, 7:22 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"dpb" wrote

Take two one-way discs and weld them to a section of 4" pipe on a
stand...it'll stay put when you pull!

Last summer, I made a hose rack of an old bent rim and a square tubing
(heavy) post. Set it in concrete. Well, everyone had to have one, so I
made six. I gave them away, or accepted a payment of a free dinner or
such.
I think I could sell them for $20 each at the flea market. Only thing,
don't use too small a diameter rim, as they won't hold a lot of hose, and
it
doesn't run around the rim as sweet as one with a bigger arc. I guess
you
could bolt it on with U bolts if you don't have a welder. I go to the
local
tire shops, and they will give me all the bent rims they have every time
go.

A simple solution to a complex problem.

Steve

Or stop by your local big box or hardware store and buy a hose rack
for a couple bucks.

Harry K

Yeah, I guess that would work, too. If your taste is in cheap pieces of
**** that don't last more than two seasons.

I hang good 50 and 75 foot black Goodyear hoses on mine. The heavy ones.
Sometimes I have two lengths on there. Those light cheesy piece of **** two
dollar hose racks from the local big box or hardware stores won't even hold
up the weight.

Steve- Hide quoted text -

??? I have two of the tin ones and one plastic. They have all been
in use for around 15 years. Not showing any wear and tear yet. True
that 2 only have 50 ft, the plastic has 75 ft on it but none of them
show any signs of rejecting more if I wanted.

Yes, your homebuilt ones sound nice. To me it also sounds like
reinventing the wheel.

Harry K