Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garden Hose reel that works!

After years of frustration with garden hoses and holders, I finally bought a
hose reel of good quality that really works. I got a Rapid Reel made by
Triton. It was expensive compared to the big box store junk, but should
easily last the rest of my life.

I bought a plastic one last year and it was nothing but frustration. I
turned the water on this year and it leaked so I gave up, did some internet
searching and found a few places that sell the Triton line. Well made of
substantial tubing and cast metal, powder coated, stainless steel hardware,
brass fitting, etc. and generous size. If you share my frustration with
cheap reels, this is a worthwhile purchase.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 6:52 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
After years of frustration with garden hoses and holders, I finally bought a
hose reel of good quality that really works. I got a Rapid Reel made by
Triton. It was expensive compared to the big box store junk, but should
easily last the rest of my life.

I bought a plastic one last year and it was nothing but frustration. I
turned the water on this year and it leaked so I gave up, did some internet
searching and found a few places that sell the Triton line. Well made of
substantial tubing and cast metal, powder coated, stainless steel hardware,
brass fitting, etc. and generous size. If you share my frustration with
cheap reels, this is a worthwhile purchase.

I have three of the plastic Ames ones. Have had no problem with any
of them and they don't leak...well, I did have a problem last year
with one in that I cross threaded the hose connection but I was able
to re-thread it correctly. My only complaint with them is that even
with a hose loaded, they are too light and don't stay in position
while you pull hose.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message

I have three of the plastic Ames ones. Have had no problem with any
of them and they don't leak...well, I did have a problem last year
with one in that I cross threaded the hose connection but I was able
to re-thread it correctly. My only complaint with them is that even
with a hose loaded, they are too light and don't stay in position
while you pull hose.

Too light was also a reason I went with theTriton. The plastic one from
Suncast would pull right along with the hose and move around when you tried
to wind the hose back. The Rapid Reel is on a cart that is waist high and
stays put.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 5, 10:59 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

I have three of the plastic Ames ones. Have had no problem with any
of them and they don't leak...well, I did have a problem last year
with one in that I cross threaded the hose connection but I was able
to re-thread it correctly. My only complaint with them is that even
with a hose loaded, they are too light and don't stay in position
while you pull hose.

Too light was also a reason I went with theTriton. The plastic one from
Suncast would pull right along with the hose and move around when you tried
to wind the hose back. The Rapid Reel is on a cart that is waist high and
stays put.

Take two one-way discs and weld them to a section of 4" pipe on a
stand...it'll stay put when you pull!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message

I have three of the plastic Ames ones. Have had no problem with any
of them and they don't leak...well, I did have a problem last year
with one in that I cross threaded the hose connection but I was able
to re-thread it correctly. My only complaint with them is that even
with a hose loaded, they are too light and don't stay in position
while you pull hose.

Too light was also a reason I went with theTriton. The plastic one from
Suncast would pull right along with the hose and move around when you tried
to wind the hose back. The Rapid Reel is on a cart that is waist high and
stays put.

Take two one-way discs and weld them to a section of 4" pipe on a
stand...it'll stay put when you pull!

Take at look at these water powered re-wind hose reels.

http://www.no-crank.com/

esp this one

http://www.no-crank.com/siteFiles/1/609/2906.asp

I got two of them for my 80 year ago mother & they work pretty
good.....it says it's rated for 125 ft of hose but that's optimistic.

For a 75 ft hose it works like a champ. They need to change the gear
ratio to give more torque & less speed .

Works best with a good quality flexible hose..not an old stiff one.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

"Harry K" wrote in message

[...]

These look pretty good. My next door neighbor has one model, but I
had no idea it had power rewind. It's pretty silly in his case I
think since the edge of his property is only 20 feet from the faucet,
and I never seem him water anything anyhow.

It must have been a gift.

I got two of them for my 80 year ago mother & they work pretty
good.....it says it's rated for 125 ft of hose but that's optimistic.

For a 75 ft hose it works like a champ. They need to change the gear
ratio to give more torque & less speed .

Works best with a good quality flexible hose..not an old stiff one.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 May 2007 10:29:05 -0700, BobK207 wrote:
Works best with a good quality flexible hose..not an old stiff one.

My wife prefers the old stiff one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

On 5 May 2007 10:29:05 -0700, BobK207 wrote:
Works best with a good quality flexible hose..not an old stiff one.

My wife prefers the old stiff one.

Always bragging and wishfull thinking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote

Take two one-way discs and weld them to a section of 4" pipe on a
stand...it'll stay put when you pull!

Last summer, I made a hose rack of an old bent rim and a square tubing
(heavy) post. Set it in concrete. Well, everyone had to have one, so I
made six. I gave them away, or accepted a payment of a free dinner or such.
I think I could sell them for $20 each at the flea market. Only thing,
don't use too small a diameter rim, as they won't hold a lot of hose, and it
doesn't run around the rim as sweet as one with a bigger arc. I guess you
could bolt it on with U bolts if you don't have a welder. I go to the local
tire shops, and they will give me all the bent rims they have every time I
go.

A simple solution to a complex problem.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 7:22 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"dpb" wrote

Take two one-way discs and weld them to a section of 4" pipe on a
stand...it'll stay put when you pull!

Last summer, I made a hose rack of an old bent rim and a square tubing
(heavy) post. Set it in concrete. Well, everyone had to have one, so I
made six. I gave them away, or accepted a payment of a free dinner or such.
I think I could sell them for $20 each at the flea market. Only thing,
don't use too small a diameter rim, as they won't hold a lot of hose, and it
doesn't run around the rim as sweet as one with a bigger arc. I guess you
could bolt it on with U bolts if you don't have a welder. I go to the local
tire shops, and they will give me all the bent rims they have every time I
go.

A simple solution to a complex problem.

Steve

Or stop by your local big box or hardware store and buy a hose rack
for a couple bucks.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 5, 7:22 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"dpb" wrote

[...]

Yeah, I guess that would work, too. If your taste is in cheap pieces of
**** that don't last more than two seasons.

I hang good 50 and 75 foot black Goodyear hoses on mine. The heavy ones.
Sometimes I have two lengths on there. Those light cheesy piece of **** two
dollar hose racks from the local big box or hardware stores won't even hold
up the weight.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
After years of frustration with garden hoses and holders, I finally bought a
hose reel of good quality that really works. I got a Rapid Reel made by
Triton. It was expensive compared to the big box store junk, but should
easily last the rest of my life.

Yep, I came to the same conclusion last year and replaced (for the third time
in 10 years) the cheap plastic Home Depot POS with a Triton. As you noted, it
didn't leak... ever... and is of very stout construction.

Like all tools, you can cry once when you pay for it or you can cry every time
you use it. I chose to cry once. It ran me about $85 IIRC and I got it online
somewhere (who can remember?).

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
On 5 May 2007 10:29:05 -0700, BobK207 wrote:
Works best with a good quality flexible hose..not an old stiff one.

My wife prefers the old stiff one.

She told me the same thing.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 5, 7:22 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"dpb" wrote

[...]

That is what I found on the shelf last year- thin metal or plastic. This
year, I found real thick bent and welded brackets everywhere, cheap. All
made in China or Taiwan, and I had to provide my own lag bolts, but they
hold up my 100-foot commercial-grade black rubber hose just fine.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 11:16 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

oups.com...

On May 5, 7:22 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"dpb" wrote

[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

??? I have two of the tin ones and one plastic. They have all been
in use for around 15 years. Not showing any wear and tear yet. True
that 2 only have 50 ft, the plastic has 75 ft on it but none of them
show any signs of rejecting more if I wanted.

Yes, your homebuilt ones sound nice. To me it also sounds like
reinventing the wheel.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gordon Shumway wrote:

I know this is an old thread but reading your post talking about your
junk plastic reel was my story too. Because of your advice I went to
Triton's site and saw their reel. With their description and pictures
and your glowing endorsement I bought one.

It arrived today and is now assembled. Ed, I have to take exception
to your statement of "good quality." What you should have said is
"excellent quality." As with you, this reel will probably last me the
rest of my life.

I managed to catch mine with the bumper of my car as I backed out of my
garage and pulled the reel off its axle. Broke the damned thing!

I ordered a replacement axle and was delighted to see they sent me a
free one, even though I had caused the damage and there was no defect
attributable to them. It came quick, too.

I can't say enough good things about the Triton reel. The only thing I
changed on mine from stock was the handle to one that didn't stick out
quite so far. My garage is a little tight.

When you buy something cheap, the only time you're really happy with it
is when you pay for it. But buy quality, and you'll enjoy it every time
you use it. Triton is quality.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerd at carolina.rr.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message
After years of frustration with garden hoses and holders, I finally bought
hose reel of good quality that really works. I got a Rapid Reel made by
Triton.

It arrived today and is now assembled. Ed, I have to take exception
to your statement of "good quality." What you should have said is
"excellent quality." As with you, this reel will probably last me the
rest of my life.

Thanks,

You're welcome. The initial price is a bit of a shocker but the quality and
ease of use sure make it worth having. Winding up 100' of hose is easy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message
After years of frustration with garden hoses and holders, I finally bought
hose reel of good quality that really works. I got a Rapid Reel made by
Triton.

It arrived today and is now assembled. Ed, I have to take exception
to your statement of "good quality." What you should have said is
"excellent quality." As with you, this reel will probably last me the
rest of my life.

Thanks,

You're welcome. The initial price is a bit of a shocker but the quality and
ease of use sure make it worth having. Winding up 100' of hose is easy

Hmm, as much as I use outdoor hoses that looks like something worth
spending some $ on. Now if I can afford 2 of them at opposite corners
of the house where the spigots are that would really be great!