Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Compact Flourescent and a Wall Switch Timer?

In article om,
Edward wrote:

On May 4, 10:03 am, "Marilyn & Bob" wrote:
"Edward" wrote in message

oups.com...
On May 4, 6:54 am, "John Grabowski" wrote:

"Edward" wrote in message

oups.com...

I have a streetlight with a CFL in it, and I want to put it on a
timer. I bought an Intermatic EJ500CL, and it specifically says NOT
to use it with starter, compact flourescent or other electronic
ballasts.
oops.
So what do I do? I don't want to put an incandescent lamp out there
because I'll have to change it constantly, and its a pain in the ass.
Is there a light switch wall timer that can be used with CFLs?
It can be used with class "P" ballast.
I am in north america, in case they make stuff for 220 that isn't
available for 110.

Leviton makes one. Model #6124H-W. It costs around 50 bucks, but will
work
with any light fixture. It requires a
neutral.http://www.leviton.com/OA
HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=9447§ion...

Um...

what's a neutral?

The white wire. Some switch boxes only have the hot (black wires) in them
as those are the only wires that connect to a normal switch. Other boxes
have both the black and the white whire. A timer or remote switch that
works with a CF bulb requires that you have the white wire in the box as it
requires a connection to both the black and the white wire.
--
Peace,
BobJ- Hide quoted text -

I don't think I have that.
Last time I replaced a switch there there were only two red wires.
The house was built in 1975.

Ok then... since it is impossible for to save energe... do they
still make ultra long life incandescents? I remember in the 90's they
made 100 year bulbs... they still around?

The electricity has to come from somewhere. If the neutral's not in the
switchbox, where is it? It's an outdoor light, so it can't be in the
ceiling.

In-socket rectifiers are rumored to extend bulb life. Also, they make
bulbs with 130 volt filaments, IIRC, that run much cooler on 110 or 120,
thus extending life. You pay a slight energy consumption per lumen
penalty for that feature.