Reyd Dorakeen

Default can somone tell me how to harden carbon steel

just silver, it says on the reciept carbon steel drill rod, so if it isn't,
I think I can take it back. would a belt sander do instead of the grinder?
in article , Ed Huntress at
wrote on 3/17/04 10:13 PM:

"Reyd Dorakeen" wrote in message
the store couldnt tell me.
Assuming it is not HSS:

If the store can't tell you, then it's not high-speed steel. In fact, you'll
be lucky if it's really drill rod, and not plain cold-rolled mild steel. Is
it ground on the outside, or just dull silver?

Do you have a bench grinder? If so, someone here probably can direct you to
a site that illustrates spark tests to determine steel grades. The standard
grades aren't hard to tell apart.

Ed Huntress