Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie charlie is offline

Default ROS to etch glass?

"J T" wrote in message
Thu, May 3, 2007, 5:22am (EDT-3) (Andy Dingley)
who doth sayeth:
snip I won't handle etching creams as hydrofluoric acid is just far
too dangerous to work with.

Hmm. Interesting. Normally I wouldn't mess with any acids either,
but this is a cream, so if you tip the bottle over it won't rush out. I
actually read the instructions first, used rubber gloves, dispostable
brush, and had no problems at all. I'd do it again if the occassion
called for it. I don't know for sure, but think it's a pretty weak
solution too, because I got the impression that if you got any on your
skin you'd have a few seconds to get to the fawcet to wash it off before
it started eating you up. I did not test this theory tho.

JOAT
What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new
humiliations?
- Peter Egan

HF doesn't eat your skin. it eats your bones, and it's pretty painful once
it gets there. it will sink through skin pretty quickly, and without any
burning sensation, which is why it's so dangerous to use. it only hurts when
it's too late, and then you had better get to a hospital pdq.

etching cream is very low concentration HF, but yes still has some in it.
it's pretty safe to handle if you're reasonably good about safety
precautions.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts