Graham Parkinson

Default Rebar

There is a specific grade of rebar certified for welding and it has a "W"
code stamped in
the grade section (rebar is classified by its tensile strength).

Rebar that is not labeled as weldable should not be welded as the steel may
have impurities which can lead to brittle weld failures.

Normally rebar is tied in place only to resist the placing of concrete. The
placement of rebar is designed to transfer loads through the concrete bond
between rebars. For this to occur there has to sufficent "development
length" or over lap between spliced bars, typically so many times the bar
diameter ( about 30 diameters should be ok)

I heard about a fellow that built his own concrete pool who after tying the
rebar in place thought that he would make it better by welding it but the
inspector failed the installation on seeing the welds ....

I have not seen them weld onsite, but have seen them use pre-bent and
welded shapes for colums etc

Joel,
I have a question. On a construction site, when rebar is used to
reinforce cement pours, is the rebar welded or wired together?

Or does it vary depending on the pour?

Thanks,
Carl

.........no I'm not!

Does Bill Gates dream of electronic sheep?