Posted to rec.woodworking
jeremy jeremy is offline

Default steam bending/wagon wheel

Lee wrote:
I have a friend who would like to restore a set of very old wagon wheels.

Wheels have steel bands outside.

Looks like original had one piece of wood bent in the inside of steel.

Approx. size of wood insert 3X3

Spokes went into mortises cut in rim wood.

Hub of wheel is still usable but spokes need to be re-done.

I have steamed some wood but this not this length.

What would be the best wood to use and will it spring back enough to hold on
the steel ?

Approx time of steaming ?

The ideal wood is hickory and it is a long process. In the UK ash is the
preferred wood, but the US species has little in common other than it burns
with a bright flame when green
You have to have a jig and it is usual for it to be a semi circle and you need
two.
The jointing methods vary but a 20 degree spike held by pegs is normal in
Europe, the butt joint is normal in the USA.
When you steam the wood and stretch around the jig, you have to clamp it in
place every two inches. After one month you remove the clamps and if the wood
is not holding shape, you steam it again and wait two months.