Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

Default steam bending/wagon wheel

I have a friend who would like to restore a set of very old wagon wheels.

Wheels have steel bands outside.

Looks like original had one piece of wood bent in the inside of steel.

Approx. size of wood insert 3X3

Spokes went into mortises cut in rim wood.

Hub of wheel is still usable but spokes need to be re-done.

I have steamed some wood but this not this length.

What would be the best wood to use and will it spring back enough to hold on
the steel ?

Approx time of steaming ?

I plan on using a 4" PVC pipe end capped and a 5 gal steel gas can ( No it's
not been used for fuel) with gas cooker to boil water and hoses to take the
steam to the PVC.

Any help would be much appreciated and "Thanks to all in advance."

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

Hmmm looks like it's WAY out of mf league.Blacksmith?? lol
"DanG" wrote in message
Lee,

Look again. Normal wagon wheel wooden rims were made in sections,
usually 2 sections per wheel. The sections were called felloes. The
steel rim was measured, welded or riveted, heated cherry red to expand it
and installed while hot to shrink onto the wood when it was quenched.

Here is a place that makes wheel parts:
http://www.firstshotphoto.com/catspokes&.htm

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Lee" wrote in message
. net...
I have a friend who would like to restore a set of very old wagon wheels.

Wheels have steel bands outside.

Looks like original had one piece of wood bent in the inside of steel.

Approx. size of wood insert 3X3

Spokes went into mortises cut in rim wood.

Hub of wheel is still usable but spokes need to be re-done.

I have steamed some wood but this not this length.

What would be the best wood to use and will it spring back enough to hold
on the steel ?

Approx time of steaming ?

I plan on using a 4" PVC pipe end capped and a 5 gal steel gas can ( No
it's not been used for fuel) with gas cooker to boil water and hoses to
take the steam to the PVC.

Any help would be much appreciated and "Thanks to all in advance."

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee wrote:
I have a friend who would like to restore a set of very old wagon wheels.

Wheels have steel bands outside.

Looks like original had one piece of wood bent in the inside of steel.

Approx. size of wood insert 3X3

Spokes went into mortises cut in rim wood.

Hub of wheel is still usable but spokes need to be re-done.

I have steamed some wood but this not this length.

What would be the best wood to use and will it spring back enough to hold on
the steel ?

Approx time of steaming ?

The ideal wood is hickory and it is a long process. In the UK ash is the
preferred wood, but the US species has little in common other than it burns
with a bright flame when green
You have to have a jig and it is usual for it to be a semi circle and you need
two.
The jointing methods vary but a 20 degree spike held by pegs is normal in
Europe, the butt joint is normal in the USA.
When you steam the wood and stretch around the jig, you have to clamp it in
place every two inches. After one month you remove the clamps and if the wood
is not holding shape, you steam it again and wait two months.

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you are still considering this job after reading the previous posts,
you will need to learn something of the art of the wheelwright. For
instance: since you already have the tyres (rims), you will have to
reverse design the size of the felloes with the following in mind:
-the tyre will grow about 1/8" per foot of diameter when heated to about
750 degrees F, which is about the temp needed to put in on.
-The felloes need to be sized so the tyre won't fit when cold, so the
tyre's shrinking will tighten up (tie, hence "tyre") the whole wheel
together and, along with the "dish" you have already planned for, set
itn "just right" for its intended use.
-These dimensions come from a lot of practice, and depend upon every
variable you can imagine.
-Tyre bolts were often, if not always used to keep the tyre (you call it
the rim) fastened to the felloes (usually pronounced "fellies").

I give you a lot of credit for attempting this task. I once helped put
tyres onto a set of circus wagon wheels for a "Hippopotamus Wagon".
Each rear tyre wieghed about 350 pounds (the front ones were somewhat
lighter). The wheelwright had to make new wheels to fit the old tyres,
as you do. This is a lot tougher than making the wheel first then
measuring the circumference and making the tyre to fit.
Anyway, unless you do the same sort of wheel over and over, it's a crap
shoot as to whether everything is going to come out alright. It did in
this case.

New to this newsgroup,
Pete Stanaitis
-------------------------

Lee wrote:
I have a friend who would like to restore a set of very old wagon wheels.

Wheels have steel bands outside.

Looks like original had one piece of wood bent in the inside of steel.

Approx. size of wood insert 3X3

Spokes went into mortises cut in rim wood.

Hub of wheel is still usable but spokes need to be re-done.

I have steamed some wood but this not this length.

What would be the best wood to use and will it spring back enough to hold on
the steel ?

Approx time of steaming ?

I plan on using a 4" PVC pipe end capped and a 5 gal steel gas can ( No it's
not been used for fuel) with gas cooker to boil water and hoses to take the
steam to the PVC.

Any help would be much appreciated and "Thanks to all in advance."

Wood type in the hub of a Wood Spoked Wagon Wheel Bob AZ Woodworking 23 April 8th 07 12:26 AM
Anyone steam bending? [email protected] Woodworking 6 March 13th 07 01:11 PM
Springback when steam bending? Doug Miller Woodworking 12 March 1st 06 06:02 PM
14" WAGON WHEEL J T Woodworking 0 September 14th 05 11:24 PM
Steam Bending Chris Woodworking 4 February 14th 05 01:48 PM