Posted to alt.home.repair
Matt Matt is offline

Default no thermal protection for refrigerator compressor -- fire hazard?

Mark, thanks for your reply.

Mark wrote:
Is that breaker designed for fire safety or just to protect the
compressor from overheating?

It's probably the overload protector...if the power goes off and then
back on after a second or two, the compressor has to re-start against
the built up pressure and it can't.

so that device is designed to click off for a while until the pressure
dies down and it can re-start.

I see ... now I find a datasheet for the device at:
http://www.sensata.com/files/4tm.pdf

You should be able to find a replacement for it.

I found it at jr.partsearch.com for $22 delivered. It seems that a
fridge of this size goes for around $80-$100 new.

I would do that if I were you otherwise the compressor will probably
be runied one day when it tries to re-start.

I drilled open the overload protector and found a dry dead roly-poly
centipede and something that looked like a worm that was still wet.
Also the (coil) heater was fused and melted into pieces. My guess is
that the bug blocked the contacts from tripping off so that the heater
overheated and fused. From the datasheet:

The fundamental actuation
principle incorporates a noncurrent
carrying snap-acting disc,
which is located above the heater
element. (REFER TO BACK PAGE
FOR REFERENCE DRAWINGS).
In addition to radiant heat generated
from the heater, compressor shell,
and ambient, the disc senses the
heat from the metal pin carrying line
current through the hermetic terminals.
When the disc snaps, it actuates the
spring arm located above the disc,
opening the contact circuit - which
shuts off the compressor motor.

My last question is whether it is common for the protector to trip or
whether the fact that it tripped (or tried to) indicates another problem.

Matt