Posted to alt.home.repair

Default no thermal protection for refrigerator compressor -- fire hazard?

Hi folks--

I have a little (about 1.5 cu. ft.) refrigerator that died---doesn't
cool and makes no sound.

There is a kind of circuit breaker inside the "relay assembly". That
breaker butts up against the compressor, and apparently it is supposed
to sense overheating of the compressor. The breaker can be removed from
the rest of the relay assembly. It makes a rattling sound when I shake
it. When I bypass that breaker, the fridge seems to work fine.

Is that breaker designed for fire safety or just to protect the
compressor from overheating?

I don't mind risking the compressor being ruined or the whole fridge
being ruined since I got it for free.

Of course I wouldn't want to risk burning the house down.

Would I be risking a fire if I remove that breaker and use the fridge?

Thanks for your help!

Matt
Posted to alt.home.repair

Is that breaker designed for fire safety or just to protect the
compressor from overheating?

It's probably the overload protector...if the power goes off and then
back on after a second or two, the compressor has to re-start against
the built up pressure and it can't.

so that device is designed to click off for a while until the pressure
dies down and it can re-start.

You should be able to find a replacement for it.

I would do that if I were you otherwise the compressor will probably
be runied one day when it tries to re-start.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark, thanks for your reply.

Mark wrote:
Is that breaker designed for fire safety or just to protect the
compressor from overheating?

It's probably the overload protector...if the power goes off and then
back on after a second or two, the compressor has to re-start against
the built up pressure and it can't.

so that device is designed to click off for a while until the pressure
dies down and it can re-start.

I see ... now I find a datasheet for the device at:
http://www.sensata.com/files/4tm.pdf

You should be able to find a replacement for it.

I found it at jr.partsearch.com for $22 delivered. It seems that a
fridge of this size goes for around $80-$100 new.

I would do that if I were you otherwise the compressor will probably
be runied one day when it tries to re-start.

I drilled open the overload protector and found a dry dead roly-poly
centipede and something that looked like a worm that was still wet.
Also the (coil) heater was fused and melted into pieces. My guess is
that the bug blocked the contacts from tripping off so that the heater
overheated and fused. From the datasheet:

The fundamental actuation
principle incorporates a noncurrent
carrying snap-acting disc,
which is located above the heater
element. (REFER TO BACK PAGE
FOR REFERENCE DRAWINGS).
In addition to radiant heat generated
from the heater, compressor shell,
and ambient, the disc senses the
heat from the metal pin carrying line
current through the hermetic terminals.
When the disc snaps, it actuates the
spring arm located above the disc,
opening the contact circuit - which
shuts off the compressor motor.

My last question is whether it is common for the protector to trip or
whether the fact that it tripped (or tried to) indicates another problem.

Matt
Posted to alt.home.repair

My last question is whether it is common for the protector to trip or
whether the fact that it tripped (or tried to) indicates another problem.

Matt

It is very common for it to trip if power is removed from a running
compressor and then re-applied without waiting a few minutes for the
pressure to equalize.

If you reapply power before the pressure equlaizes, the compressor
motor cannot start so the motor will be powered and not turning and it
draws an excessive current that will burn it out in a handfull of
seconds. The protection device is designed to open the circuit in a
second or two.

The protection device will cool and reset itself automatically after a
minute or two.

Almost every refirgerator and air conditioner works this way.

Caution, do not drill into the compressor, it is hermetically sealed.

If you found a replacment protection device, buy it, replace it and
consider that you have done a great job.

Before you buy a new replacement protection device you can bypass the
old protection device just for a short test and verify that the
compressor works etc. but DO NOT use the unit that way. Do not remove
and re-apply power without the protection device in place.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark wrote:
[...]

I only drilled some plastic rivets out of the protection device so as to
open it for a post-mortem. The rattling sounds I mentioned were
fragments of the fused heater.

If you found a replacment protection device, buy it, replace it and
consider that you have done a great job.

Okay, I just ordered the replacement part. By the way, I picked up the
fridge at somebody's curb on junk day. It is five years old and hardly
a scratch on it. This will keep it out of the landfill for a while.
Hmmm ... now if I can figure out how to keep a roly poly from crawling
into the new part ...

Before you buy a new replacement protection device you can bypass the
old protection device just for a short test and verify that the
compressor works etc. but DO NOT use the unit that way. Do not remove
and re-apply power without the protection device in place.

Mark

Thanks for your very detailed and helpful replies.

Matt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Matt wrote:
[...]

Daewoo FR-062R 1.7 cu. ft. refrigerator.
S/M No. : FR062R0010
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download...o_FR-062R.html
3018101941
3018101711
3018108021 RELAY SWITCH ASSEMBLY
174SHBYY-52 -- this seems to be the part number to look for
http://www.sensata.com/files/4tm.pdf
TEXAS INSTRUMENTS 4TM THERMAL PROTECTOR PRODUCT BULLETIN MCKS006B
http://jr.partsearch.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dr. Dave had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ir-214150-.htm
:

-------------------------------------
Mark wrote:

Is that breaker designed for fire safety or just to protect the
compressor from overheating?

It's probably the overload protector...if the power goes off and then
back on after a second or two, the compressor has to re-start against
the built up pressure and it can't.

so that device is designed to click off for a while until the pressure
dies down and it can re-start.

You should be able to find a replacement for it.

I would do that if I were you otherwise the compressor will probably
be runied one day when it tries to re-start.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark wrote:

Is that breaker designed for fire safety or just to protect the
compressor from overheating?

It's probably the overload protector...if the power goes off and then
back on after a second or two, the compressor has to re-start against
the built up pressure and it can't.

so that device is designed to click off for a while until the pressure
dies down and it can re-start.

You should be able to find a replacement for it.

I would do that if I were you otherwise the compressor will probably
be runied one day when it tries to re-start.

Mark

Dr Dave:

You might want to check out my web site for a cure for these problems.
With my unit you could short out the thermal switch and never have to
worry about ruining your compressor. WWW.Dr-Dave-Lutz.com
Worth a look. Dr Dave.