Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default Direct TV vs Dish

On Wed, 02 May 2007 14:33:22 -0400, Terry
wrote:

My sister used Dish for quite a few years. Her equipment was looking
pretty ragged.

I talked her into switching to Direct TV so she could get 3 months
free movies and new equipment.

Well after a little over a year she is having trouble with one of her
tuner boxes. She says she has to reset the box to get it to work. It
will work for a while and then she has to reset the box again.

Direct TV wants 75$ to come out and check it. I asked for a
replacement box, but they say it is the cable and not the box and they
want to make the 75$ service call.

I am thinking that she should just go back to Dish and get a new 3
month free movies and a free installation.

Thoughts?

BTW She said that Dish never wanted to charge her a service call the
whole time she was with them.

The suggestions to temporary replace the cable might be an option. She
lives in another state, but I do visit often.

The thing that makes me suspect the tuner is because, one trip there,
I tried my nephew's tuner in his sister's room and it did not work.

But......I also tried the sister's tuner in his room and that didn't
work either.

My sister has 3 tuners. From what I understand the receiver on the
dish has ports for 2 tuners. This would mean that his box could be on
a separate tuner.

If he leaves the box off for a period of time the unit starts working
again. This makes me suspect the tuner the most.

Thanks