Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Mark is offline

Default no thermal protection for refrigerator compressor -- fire hazard?

Is that breaker designed for fire safety or just to protect the
compressor from overheating?

It's probably the overload protector...if the power goes off and then
back on after a second or two, the compressor has to re-start against
the built up pressure and it can't.

so that device is designed to click off for a while until the pressure
dies down and it can re-start.

You should be able to find a replacement for it.

I would do that if I were you otherwise the compressor will probably
be runied one day when it tries to re-start.

Mark