Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] moldshield.1@fuse.net is offline

Default Siding in the rain?

On Apr 4, 3:17 pm, "Bob (but not THAT Bob)"
wrote:
3G wrote:

"DB" wrote in message

| "comcastss news groups" wrote in message
| I hired a handyman to reside one side of my house.
| He wants to come out Monday (and Tuesday if needed). Should get it
done in
| one day though.
| He is out of town for a couple of weeks after this and we were
hoping to
| squeeze it in...
|
| Now I see they are forecasting rain Monday thru Wednesday next week.
| ( southern Mass )
|
| He's paid hourly so I was hoping to start pulling the siding off
this
| weekend to get things started...
|

| It doesn't sound like a good idea if its going to rain...
|
| Am I correct that we shouldn't put the Tyvek and siding on if the
house is
| wet????
| How bad is it if I pull the siding off and then the plywood gets
wet???

| The area is 17' wide X 16' high.
| siding is 12" x 16' MDF hardboard (crap)
| the rest of the house is good just this side needs replacing.
|

| TIA
|

| Steve
| I can pretty well gaurantee you the sheathing got wet when the house
was
| under construction.

I will guarantee you
there was no insulation/sheetrock in the wall at the time the sheathing
got wet.

I wouldn't bet on that.

That's why the drywall mfrs have come out with new paperless
"mold-resistant" drywall - their trade ads say it can be exposed to the
elements up to 3 months!

So you know contractors have been leaving it exposed all along.- Hide quoted text -

True but that is why mold issues are running wild with new
construction. Yet the builders are so confused as to why? The Tyvek is
the barrier for moisture. As long as this is intact you should be
fine. or if the rain is light. If the heavy rains get through to the
plywood- the walls will be affected along this wall- soaking the
insulation and interior drywall. Then there is a concern for mold
growing later on.

www.moldshield.org