Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default water in basement (continued)

On 30 Apr 2007 11:19:26 -0700, wrote:

The water should get to the pump, under the slab, before anything is
wet above.
Make the sump as deep as possible. In my case, in previous house, I
then
hand-formed mortar into sump-liner, with multiple entry holes.

Not knowing how permeable the material is under your slab, which I'd
hope
is gravel, deep is the solution with the sump. Just as deep as is
practical.

Depending on your local aquifers, more than one sump may be the
ticket.

If the sump is too deep, isn't there a possibility of getting to an
depth that is wet most of the time but isn't causing a problem for the
house?

My sump is so many inches deep but almost all the water comes in
though corrugated perforated pipe which was laid around the house
during construction, and those two pipes are about 8 inches above the
bottom of the sump. Maybe some water comes in through the bottom of
the sump, but not much, and I haven't noticed that any does. (I'd
have to be looking when nothing is coming in through the 2 4" pipes,
but it's still wet enough for water to seep in at the bottom.