Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen Dan Espen is offline

Default water in basement (continued)

Arkadiy writes:

Toller wrote:

Knowing what you can do with the water is obviously very important. Find
that out before talking to contractors. Pumping water up 2' is very
different than pumping it up 10'.

It's definitely closer to 2' than to 10'

I would be real reluctant to spend $7,000 to fix a problem that happens
every 15 years, especially with an unfinished basement.
If you can wait a while, the price ought to come down.

Here is my concern -- I am afraid for the floor which is currently
exposed to wery high humidity. I can't provide appropriate
ventilation -- I have only one tiny window in the whole basement
area. I don't know how dangerous it is. If not, I would wait untill
things dry out, and then decide what to do.

A sump pump (maybe two) might solve your problem. They should be under
$1,000 each, depending on where the water has to go. They might not handle
the floods you had this year, but it is possible that the $7000 fix wouldn't
have handled it either. Talk to your neighbors to find out what was, and
what wasn't, adequate.

Here is the question: if there is a sump pump, how does the water get
to it? Through the floor serfice or under it, before reaching the
floor level? I got the impression that it goes through the floor
serfice (or french drain on this surface).

Hi,

The french drain I previously posted about replaced a sump pump.
A sump pump by itself can work, but there are all kinds
of "work".

I was only getting water every 3rd year or so with the sump
pump.

Now that I have the french drain, I haven't had a flood
for 20+ years.
I'm sure there is some amount of rain that would cause of flood
though.

My drain goes out thru the basement wall thru a long pipe under
the lawn and thru the curb (belgian block) into the street.

If you can get far enough from the house to flow over
the lawn that would probably be OK, but I'd expect
to see some canals form that you might have to fill
periodically.