Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default device to push slider windows tightly closed

According to Lawrence :
On Apr 29, 5:24 pm, John Keith wrote:
Yea, I use those to secure the load in my pickup. I'm guessing that
it won't be short enough for your window, even the small ones. It is
might be possible to cut the bars to a shorter length. You could try
a pipe cutter. I don't see it working any better than a pipe clamp,
in any case.

The ones on this link fit a 44" - 72" range (I need 48" and 52"),
have a nice trigger mechanism and are priced attractively.

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200304601.htm

John Keith

Then it should work. A pipe clamp all of those features and more. It
is less expensive and more versatile.

But much heavier, bulkier, more awkward to use (offcenter thrust,
trickier to get to stay in place while installing/adjusting), and not to
mention an eyesore.

I have lots of pipe clamps. Yes, they can be used for this. But
I wouldn't bet on it with the elderly - they'll be dropping it on
their foot, or running the pipe thru the glass. Reversible
bar clamps would be a trifle better (lighter/easier to manage),
but still similar problems not to mention higher expense.

The classic solution is a sawn off hockey stick handle - very popular
for sliding doors - just drop it in the track, and you can't open
the door, period. When cut to the right length, they can help close
the glass by pushing sideways on it. Or, hinge em in the middle (watch
out for pinching skin or fingers).

The NorthernTool cargo bar looks great for if the windows are
particularly stubborn. Notice the rubber feet. Rather better
than the end of a 1/2" piece of iron pipe.

I have one of these:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43456,43391

I use it in our trailer.

Pricier, but _very_ light - 2 pounds I think. The NorthernTool one
may be better for older/weaker hands. The ratchet on the LeeValley
one might be hard on the fingers for some people if you have to crank
on a lot of force. Its locking mechanism is _very_ solid and the feet
are non-marring yet do not move.
--
Chris Lewis,