Posted to uk.d-i-y
Shay Shay is offline

Default Join in a 6mm cable?

On 30 Apr, 21:20, Harold A wrote:
I've just discovered that the 6mm cable leading to my electric shower
has a join: Two lengths have been joined using a 30A junction box. I
think I once heard that 6mm cable should not be joined; is that
correct? If so, what is the actual danger/risk? I wondered if anyone
could explain. How concerned should I be?

Thanks,

Harold A

Hi Harrold,

Lurch is 100% right... I couldn't have said it better myself.

Thisgs to look into..... 6mm cable has a higher capacity than 30Amps.
Check to see what size your Fuse or MCB is, if it is greater that 30A
e.g. 40Amps then you'll need to upgrade the junction box to a higher
capacity one.. like 50A.
What size is yor shower in kW?

Shay

Shay