Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Join in a 6mm cable?

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:20:58 +0100, Harold A
mused:

I've just discovered that the 6mm cable leading to my electric shower
has a join: Two lengths have been joined using a 30A junction box. I
think I once heard that 6mm cable should not be joined; is that
correct?

Nope.

If so, what is the actual danger/risk? I wondered if anyone
could explain. How concerned should I be?

As long as the junction box has been well made off and connections are
sound then you have no need to worry.

Ideally you want to have all cables as continuous lengths but as long
as joints, in any size cable, are correctly made off then thefre isn't
a problem.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've just discovered that the 6mm cable leading to my electric shower
has a join: Two lengths have been joined using a 30A junction box. I
think I once heard that 6mm cable should not be joined; is that
correct? If so, what is the actual danger/risk? I wondered if anyone
could explain. How concerned should I be?

Thanks,

Harold A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Apr, 21:20, Harold A wrote:
I've just discovered that the 6mm cable leading to my electric shower
has a join: Two lengths have been joined using a 30A junction box. I
think I once heard that 6mm cable should not be joined; is that
correct? If so, what is the actual danger/risk? I wondered if anyone
could explain. How concerned should I be?

Thanks,

Harold A

Hi Harrold,

Lurch is 100% right... I couldn't have said it better myself.

Thisgs to look into..... 6mm cable has a higher capacity than 30Amps.
Check to see what size your Fuse or MCB is, if it is greater that 30A
e.g. 40Amps then you'll need to upgrade the junction box to a higher
capacity one.. like 50A.
What size is yor shower in kW?

Shay

Shay

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Harold A wrote:

I've just discovered that the 6mm cable leading to my electric shower
has a join: Two lengths have been joined using a 30A junction box. I
think I once heard that 6mm cable should not be joined; is that
correct? If so, what is the actual danger/risk? I wondered if anyone
could explain. How concerned should I be?

No problem at all, so long as the joint is accessible and soundly made
with terminals capable of carrying the current and in an enclosure
complying with a relevant BS or EN standard.

(crimp and solder joints are not required to be accessible.)

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
Microsoft - because god hates us
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Apr 2007 13:46:19 -0700, Shay wrote:

Lurch is 100% right... I couldn't have said it better myself.

That's a relief! (-: -Thanks, and same to Lurch and Alistair.

Thisgs to look into..... 6mm cable has a higher capacity than 30Amps.
Check to see what size your Fuse or MCB is, if it is greater that 30A
e.g. 40Amps then you'll need to upgrade the junction box to a higher
capacity one.. like 50A.

The circuit-breaker is 32A. It's a 7 kw (or 7.5 kw) shower.

Would it pay to take the cover of the junction box and make sure the
three brass screws are good and tight? (after turning off the power,
of course (-: ? ...I've noticed that those brass screws on
electrical fittings often seem to develop some looseness somehow, over
the course of time. Anyone know why that is?

Harold

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:18:01 +0100, Lurch
wrote:

As long as the junction box has been well made off and connections are
sound then you have no need to worry.

Thank you! Can you please just clarify what is meant by 'well made
off' (as in junction box)?

Harold A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:54:25 +0100, Alistair Riddell
wrote:

No problem at all, so long as the joint is accessible and soundly made
with terminals capable of carrying the current and in an enclosure
complying with a relevant BS or EN standard.

Thank you. Can anyone advise which is BS standard is teh relevant one?
The junction box looks rather dated, being dark brown plastic rather
than the typical modern white type. But it does say "30A" on the back.

Should the junction box be screwed to a joist? (It is under the
floorboards, lying on the lath and plaster of the ceiling below).

Harold

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

No problem at all, so long as the joint is accessible and soundly made
with terminals capable of carrying the current and in an enclosure
complying with a relevant BS or EN standard.

Thank you. Can anyone advise which is BS standard is teh relevant one?
The junction box looks rather dated, being dark brown plastic rather
than the typical modern white type. But it does say "30A" on the back.

Should the junction box be screwed to a joist? (It is under the
floorboards, lying on the lath and plaster of the ceiling below).

Harold

Hi Harold,
The Junction Box sounds ok. Doesn't really need secured to the joist.

As far as the tightness of the connections are concerned.. is the box
in the roof space or is it under floor boards in a room?

If its under floor boards then vibrations from people walking could
contribute to loose terminals. it wouldn't do u any harm giving then a
tighten.. BUT... be careful not to over tightn as you could break the
screw, wire or jump threads.

Shay

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harold A
writes
Would it pay to take the cover of the junction box and make sure the
three brass screws are good and tight? (after turning off the power, of
course (-: ? ...I've noticed that those brass screws on electrical
fittings often seem to develop some looseness somehow, over the course
of time. Anyone know why that is?

Copper does spread over time under pressure.

There's no harm in doing what you say, but be careful not to overtighten
as that can cause problems too.

"Well made off" = properly assembled.

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harold A wrote:

Thank you. Can anyone advise which is BS standard is teh relevant one?

BS 6220:1983

--
Andy