Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default water in basement (continued)

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 15:35:03 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

If you might have radon issues, consider that.
They will be opening the slab to air infiltration.
It may agravate radon penetration and you might
later have to have the system sealed.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks.

How do I know if I have rodon issues? 5 years ago, during the
inspection, the rodon level was normal...

If you didn't have it in the first test, especially if was a 5-day
test and not a 12 hour test, you probably don't have it now.

Except for the point he makes that if you cut a hole for the sump,
maybe more will slip through.

They sell radon test kits at hardware stores, including Home Depot
etc. The good ones (at least 20 years ago) had to stay in the
basement for several days, then had to be sent away in the envelope
provided where they would process the test. I don't remember how long
this takes in practice. Probably less now.

I think what they do now often is put the radon removal fan vent in
the sump. I saw that once.

But don't get too worried. Only what 10% of houses have radon, or
more, or fewer. I don't remember but it's nowhere near a majority
even. Still this would be a good time to run one more test if you are
going to cut all the way through your floor.

Because a complete floor keeps the radon out, right? It only gets in
through cracks if there are some, and sumps. Right?