Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default water in basement (continued)

On 29 Apr 2007 06:49:00 -0700, Arkadiy wrote:

Hi all.

So, I am about to give up

I've been pumping water out of my basement every evening for two weeks
now (following NE two weeks ago). The water is still comming back.

P&M

I'm not sure what kind of utility pump you are using, but instead of
pumping in the evening, why don't you buy a sump pump and pump all day
and all night long. The pump will turn off when the water level gets
to an inch or two. I think you can buy a pedestal pump or a
submersillble sump pump and both will work the same basically.

You don't need a sump to use a sump pump if there is water in the
whole basement.

I'm sure you can use flexible hose, perhaps the same hose you are
using now, and clamp it on to the output with a radiator hose clamp.

I'm not saying this will solve your problem, but you won't have to
tend to the pump, and you won't feel like you are in such a rush with
only an inch or two in the basement. You may be able to channel the
water from the crawlspace to the six foot basement area, but you'lve
probably already done that.

When you solve this problem, however you do it, you can take your sump
pump and put it in (one of?) your sumps. So it won't cost you a
thing.

I would turn it on and run it for a half hour without leaving the
house the first time. And don't plug it in or unplug it when you are
standing in water. I hope you are turning your current pump on and
off safely, so whatever you are doing for that you can probably do for
this one.

Every rainy day sets me about 5 days back (in my basement water
condition).

That won't be true if you pump 24 hours a day.

That's all I have for now.

It looks water table is not going anywhere any time soon.

So I am almost about to pay big bucks for something to be done in my
basement.

My basment is unfinished and consists of crawl space and another space
6 feet high, deeper in the ground. The floor is concrete, and it is
not even (I have to pump out of three different spots now).

One of contractors suggests 2 separate systems -- one for the crawl
space and one for the another space -- each one with sump pump and
french drain. He is saying that two systems are nesessary because the
different floor level, and the french drain is especially necessary
since the floor is not even. He is asking $7000 for this work.

I am in NJ.

Do you think what he suggested to be done is reasonable?

Do you think the price is reasonable? How is it affected with the
fact that the work seems urgent?

Thanks for any advice.

Arkadiy