Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint brand recommendation?

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
. ..

"Oren" wrote

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:49:22 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

I had new windows installed yesterday. Yay. Now I have
to paint the unfinished wood (interior only).

Pella says to choose a paint with good blocking resistance.

Without knowing it, you have voided your warranty at the install.
Interior wood by some makers give X number of hours/days to finish the
trim inside.

Ahhh, they haven't even finished the install and I'm out of warranty!
Actually, it says if you can't get to it right away, essentially don't let
it get wet.

What "blocking"?

I stole the following definition from some website. If I had
to describe it, it's that some paints stay tackier than others.
Like when you open a door and you can hear the paint sticking.

The ability of a material to resist sticking due to one or more of the
effects of
temperature, pressure or relative humidity.

nancy

Here's a simple rule: Look at what the paint manufacturer says is the number
of hours to wait before recoating. Multiply that by 3, even under ideal
conditions. The recommendations are fantasies. Same for total cure time.
This is why the best way to paint doors and windows is to remove them,
replace with something temporary (like sheets of plywood cut to size), and
paint them indoors where you can control the temperature.