Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Connecting Extension Cords

On Apr 29, 1:10 am, wrote:
I'm hoping someone can answer a questions about the best way to
connect two extension cords. Both are 50' long. One is made of 14/3
wires. The other is made with 12/3 wires. My question is which one
should be connected closest to the wall plug? The heavier gauge cord
or should that be the one on the end of the connection as it would
have less resistence?

Any comments and recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank

No difference, from theoretical electrical viewpoint.
And assuming the voltage is nominal 115 volts.
What are the 12/3 or 14/3 extension cords to be used to power?
If it's a single 60 watt inspection lamp bulb, volt drop
insignificant.
To try and power a 3 HP compressor or something which has an ampere
load exceeding the rated ampacity of #14 AWG, possibly major volt drop
problems especially during motor starts.