Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Sage Advice

On 28 Apr 2007 19:28:13 -0700, robo hippy
wrote:

If you check out Vinces site, he talks about sanding, and it got me
thinking. I have the slow speed Milwaukee/Sioux drills which go at
about 1200 rpm. He said that you should be sanding around 600 rpm. I
tried it, and it works just as well as the higher speeds: you get the
same amount of stock removal in the same amount of time, and the heat
is greatly reduced.

I do believe that- I used to sand stuff on the lathe as fast as
possible, but after trying it at a slower speed one day, I now do it
all at 300 RPM. Less heat, and the paper lasts longer.

Perhaps the higher speed of the die grinder means I ought to stick
with the 3M discs that are designed for that. To get a pnuematic tool
that slow (at least, my pnuematic grinder) you have to give up pretty
much all of it's torque.

I'll try it out, and see which one works better- if the velcro rig
just isn't up to the speed, I can stick with what I've got, because it
is working.