Reyd Dorakeen

Default can somone tell me how to harden carbon steel

the store couldnt tell me.
Assuming it is not HSS:

Heat to beyond magnetic, quench in water or oil and place in a 350 degree
oven for 1 hour.

HSS drill rod is not heat-treatable in the ordinary home shop. Most drill
rod and steel stock we see advertised in catalogs is ordinary "carbon" steel
and is heat treatable. Generally, steel including drill rod, comes with
instructions for heat treatment. W-1 (water hardening) is the best choice
for home shop use.

Bob Swinney
"Reyd Dorakeen" wrote in message
and also a way of identifying what carbon steel Ive got, the store selling
said it was drill rod, but they didnt know any more then that.