Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Alexander Jim Alexander is offline

Default Vaillant eco-tec combi boiler?

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,
I'am deciding on replacing a very old baxi boiler-it uses too much
gas.
I only have one bathroom and I will also replace rads aswell as the
old ones are begining to leak,I will need 11 radiators.For now I just
want to know if the Vaillant eco-tec combi will be a good choice or if
I should avoid it.And what model will I need,,the 19 kw one or the
more powerful type.

A combi can be an economical replacement for a storage hot water system but
there are downsides on hot water. One that has not been mentioned is that a
boiler breakdown results in complete loss of hot water as well as heating -
no immerser backup. If you are used to a well designed storage system I
would put the slow hot water delivery problem differently. Yes baths are
slow to fill but they do get there eventually. Just needs planning and the
flow won't trouble the overflow. A much bigger problem IMHO is that the hot
water takes a long time to arrive at a basin distant from the boiler. Since
the boiler is probably diffrently located than the existing cylinder and
probably futher away the difference can be very annoying. Watch out for
existing 22mm pipework being reused as that makes that problem particularly
noticeable.

Jim A