jim rozen

Default Wiring a Heavy Duty Push-Botton Swith

In article k.net, Steve
Koschamnn says...

Hi Group:

I am trying to wire a heavy duty push button switch. (push for on, push the
other button for off). I am planning to switch a 3 HP 220V 1 Phase motor
for my homebuilt drum sander. The switch is rated for 220 Volts, 30 amps,
which should be fine, as the motor pulls only 16 ams.

The swith came from someone's junk pile (mine...vbg), as did most of the
parts for this drum sander. Now that I have a finally use for this switch,
there is no schematic in the switch box. There are two, spring loaded push
button blocks with each block having 4 screw in terminals. Two terminals are
on the "upper block or top plate," where the plunger is mounted, and two on
the lower block (bottom plate) that the plunger contacts. The plungers are
in the middle of each terminal block.

OFF BUTTON ON BUTTON
BLOCK BLOCK
0 0
0 0
0 0
0 0

Top Bottom Top Bottom
Plate Plate Plate Plate

Pushing each plunger contacts the lower block, but when released, both pop
back up. I am assuming you need to jumper somehow between the OFF block and
the ON block terminals, but which ones? Oh, and by the way there is a
panel light that uses 125 volts to light...I am not planning on running two
hots PLUS a neutral, so I think the light is out...

Those push buttons are most often used in conjuction with a
magnetic contactor. Unfortunately they are most often momentary
on or off. The on button is used to briefly energize the contactor,
and it has a holding contact to hold it in. The off button opens
up the hold circuit to drop it back out.

If that's the sort of switches you have, I don't think you can
achieve what you want using only them.

Jim

please reply to: