Brent

Default Rebar

I work for a rebar fabricating plant (not a mill) and if anyone is really interested in mill reports, I will see if I can make a few copies and post the results.
Most rebar used in construction is a grade 60.

Brent
"Old Nick" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 00:40:24 -0600, "Tim Williams"
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

I have _specs_ from BHP mregarding rebar. I get the impression it's
case-hardened, with an underlying medium-carbon steel

They are this specific.

Locational Tack Welds Electrode Type
Under-matching strength electrodes are preferred but matching strength
may be used.
Weld Length
Not less than the size of the smaller bar.
General Notes
These are usually used for positioning and holding purposes, and in
prefabricated elements.
They must not be used for lifting purposes unless prior approval has
been obtained from
the design engineer (see AS/NZS 1554.3). They do not affect the
strength of 500PLUS.
Double Sided Lap Welds Electrode Type
500PLUS Rebar produced by the TEMPCORE process has a carbon equivalent
(CE) limit of 0.39 max
and, as such, requires no pre-heating prior to welding.
Microalloyed 500PLUS coiled rebar has a carbon equivalent limit of
0.44 max, however, will still not
require pre-heating when welded in accordance with the revised Welding
Standard AS/NZS1554 part 3.

**** Other manufacturers' 500 MPa reinforcing steel may be made to
higher CE limits and pre-heating may then be required in certain
circumstances e.g. for tack & lap welding of larger bars.****

Users should also be aware that hydrogen controlled electrodes will be
required for all weld types, and
matching strength electrodes will be required for butt welds.

etc.

Maybe there's rebar and rebar.

In case anyone was wondering, rebar is indeed any composition. Tonight I
was forging on some and out of curiosity, cheezily heat treated one end

.........no I'm not!

Spike....Spike? Hello?