Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is a "ring"-type cirquit essential for the sockets in one-bed flat?

In article ,
Axel G Axel wrote:
Do you plug/umplg each applience into the dual socket, or do you have
some kind of "adapter" to allow you to plug them all in at once?

Yes, I have to confess, there is actually currently only one double
socket in the kitchen. From this, I have two extention leads: one
feeds the washing machine and the dishwasher. The other is fixed just
above the work top, and has four sockets feeding the kettle, toaster,
mike, and kettle.

Do some sums by adding up the maximum load of each of these - the washing
machine and dishwasher can easily exceed the 13 amps allowed on an
extension if both used together and both heating water. Likewise the
kettle and toaster. I'm surprised you don't have fuses constantly blowing.

Is this a rented flat?

It will be soon.

Then it really needs sorting. You might be capable of knowing not to use
the washing machine and dishwasher together but a tenant likely won't, and
shouldn't be expected to.

And FWIW I'd consider any multi outlet extension in a kitchen a safety
hazard and I'd bet your local fire service would too.

Thank you to all for the helpful responses.

--
*Always borrow money from pessimists - they don't expect it back *

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.