Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Is a "ring"-type cirquit essential for the sockets in one-bed flat?

On 2007-04-26 23:20:21 +0100, said:

On 26 Apr, 20:14, Axel G Axel wrote:

I had the floorboards up in my one-bed flat today, to check the
wiring, and noticed that the socket circuit is not the usual "ring"
configuration. It simply has a 2.5 sq.mm T&E cable coming from the
fuse box, going to a connector block from which run three spurs: One
goes to a double socket in the lounge (for TV, Hi-Fi, etc). One goes
to my study (for computer gear, electric fan, etc) and the 3rd spur
goes to a socket in the bedroom, and then on to a dual socket in the
kitchen. The dual socket in the kitchen feeds a microwave a toaster, a
dishwasher, a washing machine and an electric kettle.

Is the above cirquit safe? Or should I add another cable from the
kitchen socket going back to the meter, thus creating a proper "ring"
cirquit?

What is the point of a ring cirquit, per se? Is it just to split the
load between two cables?

Many thanks,

Ax

Sockets dont have to be on a ring circuit, but radials need to be
fused at 20A at most, and youve got a heck of a lot of load on a 2.5mm
T&E radial.

Making part of it into a ring would improve it considerably, with the
kitchen feed part of the ring.

NT

Actually they can be fused at 32A as long as the wiring is in 4mm^2 for
phase conductors, with 2.5mm^2 CPC (i.e. 4mm^2 T&E) and the floor area
75 m^2.