Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Berry Adrian Berry is offline

Default Is a "ring"-type cirquit essential for the sockets in one-bed flat?

"Clark" wrote in message

"Jim Alexander" wrote in message
. uk...

"Axel G" Axel wrote in message

I had the floorboards up in my one-bed flat today, to check the
wiring, and noticed that the socket circuit is not the usual "ring"
configuration. It simply has a 2.5 sq.mm T&E cable coming from the
fuse box, going to a connector block from which run three spurs: One
goes to a double socket in the lounge (for TV, Hi-Fi, etc). One goes
to my study (for computer gear, electric fan, etc) and the 3rd spur
goes to a socket in the bedroom, and then on to a dual socket in the
kitchen. The dual socket in the kitchen feeds a microwave a toaster, a
dishwasher, a washing machine and an electric kettle.

Is the above cirquit safe?

whether it is safe or not depends on the fusing

Jim A

Wrong. It depends on the area covered and the expected load as to whether
it should be ring or radial. Socket circuits are 30A and cable size
2.5mm.
What he has is perfectly acceptable, if worried he could always run
another cable from the end socket back to the consumer unit and put it in
parallel.
A dishwasher shouldn't really be plugged in to a socket!
No way of telling if your wiring is safe without pictures or inspecting
it.
You have no chance of getting "compensation" by claiming it's unsafe, so
don't let anyone put that idea in your head.

You should really have a nice new split load consumer unit with MCBs and
the new harmonised wiring.

Jim is right:

If the 2.5mm2 is overcurrent protected by a 20A protective device then the
circuit is safe.

Furthermore, if the circuit is covering maximum floor area of 50m2, which
from his description of a one bedroom flat is reasonably likely, then it is
a standard circuit arrangement per Table 8A in the On-Site Guide.

The "connector block" sounds rather suspect - this should be a purpose-made
junction box not taped up "choccie block"

However, a circuit should be correctly designed for it's intended function
and I can't imagine a 20A circuit would be adequate for a kettle, toaster
and washing machine at the same time!

I would install a new 30/32A 2.5mm2 ring final circuit for the kitchen with
several extra sockets or spurs for the fixed appliances (one socket cannot
be enough, OSG suggests 6 to 10!) and leave the lounge/bedroom/study on a
20A radial.