Posted to alt.home.repair
Aardvark Aardvark is offline

Default Installing 32" prehung entrance door

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 13:14:23 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 01:32:58 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:39:47 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

Thanks, sounds very reasonable. Basically shim up on the front and sides
to plumb and level then do some creative carpentry work for trim and
moulding. Trimming the back of the casing to fit flush with the inside
isn't an option since I'd be cutting off part of where the lockset anchors.

Is the lock a Yale lock at eye level or a mortice lock at waist level or
both? This knowledge can help.

The latch and deadbolt are waist level. As it stands now, the inside of
the door case is level with the inside wall at the bottom as I've shimmed
the backside of the entire outside molding with a 1x1 strip to make up for
the 2x3 construction. Now plumb, the top of the backside of the door
casing is about 1.5 inches in the wall at the top. The backside of the
outer molding is 1.5 inches away from the top of the outside wall. The
bottom is flush. What I will do now is add another 1.5 inches to the
backside of the top portion of the outer molding and down maybe a few
inches on the sides of the backside of the front molding. This will give
the door (prehung) casing or frame greater stability by having contact
with the top of the front wall rather than just relying on anchoring it
from the sides. I'll also have to seal the sides of the molding which will
be harder to do since the house has a layer of aluminum siding atop the
original wood shingle style siding. This was basically my plan from the
beginning as there is really no other alternatives. I'll just have to be
creative with the inside wall and building the part of the door frame that
is inside of the wall flush with the surface of the inside wall. And
eventually when the house is resided next year, the sider will have to be
creative with the molding around the door.

Sounds like you've sort of done what I would've done. Any chance of a few
pictures from different viewpoints? The outside, the inside, the latch and
deadbolt?

How many fixings have you used to install the doorset? Generally only 8
are required on an external door casing, and I can't see any real need
(unless you're a REAL belt and braces type of guy :-)) for a fixing in the
head of the casing, especially if there's even the slightest of gaps
between the casing head and the top of the opening.

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06