Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Looking for 4-Prong Phone Outlet to Modular Plug

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 23:08:59 -0500, Jim Redelfs
wrote:

I thought they sold modular cords, with modular plugs on each end,
with switches on them, close to one end, to turn off the phone.

A great idea, but I don't recall ever seeing such a critter.

I'm not sure maybe they never did. I either made on or bought one for
my girlfriend. If I made one, it was difficult because of the wires
are thin. Regardless she never used the switch after all and threw it
back at me when we had an unfriendly breakup. It's in the next room
if I can only find it.

Don't squeeze it too hard. I suspect I used more force than necessary when my
plastic tool broke in my hand.

It pays to be weak. I have that going for me. Girls like it too, but
usually only the stronnnng ones.

as well as the cord between the phone and the handset.
Those plugs are a little bit harder to find

There are many that use the smaller-plugged, COILED handset cord to run from
the jack/outlet on the wall to the base of the phone. It makes a VERY loose
fit and is prone to trouble, but it does work - usually.

The REAL coup would be to crimp an RJ11 plug onto a coiled handset cord. I
believe I have seen such a mutant cord once or twice in my travels. I always
thought that such a cord would sell like hotcakes.

I think once, I couldn't find the little ones, so I used a wide one
and sanded it off at each side to fit. I think it was still a bit too
wide, but I was afraid the thing would fall apart if I kept sanding.

And in another case, in my bathroom, I have a handset that plugs right
into a wall jack. So I clipped off the little plug and put on a wide
one. On the wall plate is a switch to answer the phone with, a neon
light to show me when it is ringing, a switch to turn off the beeper
with, and a beeper so I can hear when it is ringing (although that
worked on the test bench and hasn't worked since. Hmmm, now I have a
cell phone to call myself with so testing would be a lot easier.)

I keep the thing dry and answer between rings. So far I'm still
alive.

JR

Mean Evil Bell System
Historical Society