Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default device to push slider windows tightly closed

On Apr 24, 7:22 pm, John Keith wrote:
Neat, I had never thought of reversing the parts of a piple clamp to
turn it into a "spreader". Good idea. SO I see two problems with pipe
clamps:

- turning the handle while next to the window would not be possible

That would be true with some styles of clamp but not others. There
are several different styles of clamps many of which would almost
certainly have the clearance to be usable.

One version which I actually own, not only has a low clearance screw
it is also a deep reach or a C-clamp style which gives even more
clearance. Jorgensen "Pony" Deep Reach Pipe Clamp is the name of this
style of clamp that you will find very useful. You supply your own
threaded pipe or if you can find this clamp locally they will also
sell and thread your pipe. There are cheaper prices but this link
should work:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...fcode=05INFROO

- the pipe is heavy and the homeowners could not ho ld them long enough
to get them clamped into place

My first reaction is... that I thought that you would be operating the
clamp since you are "helping" them, eh? I assumed that you are the
one who is handy and will own the clamps. Besides that, if these
invalids can't pick up a 12 inch clamp they they may need your help
every time they open and close this window.

But I should look at the clamps that are available these days and see
if they might work. I've not used these (wife thinks I have enough
tools and the current pipe clamps don't need to be replaced.) Don't
these newer clamps have some trigger/rachet mechanism?

The ones you own may be reversible since many are and you were
previously unaware of the feature. Just try removing the fixed part
of the clamp and reverse it. You call the clamps "newer" but they are
nothing of the sort.

Pipe clamps are a well established technology, I assure you. They do
indeed have a mechanism which allows you to position the movable part
of the clamp along the pipe so that if adjusted properly only a turn
or two of the screw may be required to to do the job. If your wifey
won't let you buy any clamps then give the job to her!!