Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Looking for 4-Prong Phone Outlet to Modular Plug

In article ,
mm wrote:

I thought they sold modular cords, with modular plugs on each end,
with switches on them, close to one end, to turn off the phone.

A great idea, but I don't recall ever seeing such a critter.

If not, just use the modlular plug, and when the tab breaks off,
replace it. They sell cutter/crimper/pliers for this purpose for about
10 dollars I think for the plastic version which works well enough,
and they sell the little clear plastic connectors at 10 for 4?
dollars.

The crimper is a great idea. I bought a plastic cheapie that pressed perhaps
a dozen plugs before one of the handles broke while being squeezed. I went to
the local Graybar Electric and bought a "real" (metal) crimper, along with a
bag of RJ11 plugs and the smaller, handset-size plugs (dunno the USOC).

Just note which way the wire is before cutting off the old plug.

In the POTS world (Plain Old Telephone Service), pair polarity is a virtual
non-issue these days - and hasn't been important for years. This, of course,
applies ONLY to a "base cord" that delivers a POTS line to a device.

Maintaining proper alignment is always best in any case.

the cheap crimper I have

Don't squeeze it too hard. I suspect I used more force than necessary when my
plastic tool broke in my hand.

as well as the cord between the phone and the handset.
Those plugs are a little bit harder to find

There are many that use the smaller-plugged, COILED handset cord to run from
the jack/outlet on the wall to the base of the phone. It makes a VERY loose
fit and is prone to trouble, but it does work - usually.

The REAL coup would be to crimp an RJ11 plug onto a coiled handset cord. I
believe I have seen such a mutant cord once or twice in my travels. I always
thought that such a cord would sell like hotcakes.
--

JR

Mean Evil Bell System
Historical Society