wmbjk

Default firearms - modern labor saving devices.

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 03:30:44 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

Backup employees on call? Give me a break...

Perhaps you didn't notice the smiley?

I know of one
convenience store manager who caught every employee in the store in
collusion and all systematically stealing from the till, fired the lot
of them - and then couldn't get anyone hired (or borrow employees from
another store) to cover the night shifts. Oops...

He ended up working 24 hours for a week. He had to have the
regional manager come in and cover the store for a shift during the
day so he could go home and get a few hours uninterrupted sleep and a
shower. And all this at a flat salary.

As I said, excellent experience if you're preparing to own a small
biz. Except for two things - usually there isn't anyone to call to
spell you, period. And getting to go home for some sleep and a shower?
Whatever happened to crashing in your car or whatever? Kids these
days! :-)

If I EVER get offered a salaried position, working hours are going
to be covered in that contract. I might allow them a little slack for
emergencies, but anything over 40 or 45 hours is going to be paid for,
either in OT or comp time off. Or they can hire me an assistant to
take some the load. Period.

Contract? Cool. Don't forget to write in a clause that the other
employees have to lift the seat before taking a whiz. :-)

Wayne