Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Looking for 4-Prong Phone Outlet to Modular Plug

On Apr 24, 11:47�pm, Jim Redelfs
wrote:
In article ,

*Terry wrote:
How about a phone with a ringer with an on/off?

It sounds SOOOOO simple.

However, many older folks will recall the Western Electric desk and wall
telephone that, unless specifically modified by an official Bell technician,
could not be silenced without disconnecting the set.

The Bell System knew what it was doing. * sigh

Just a week ago I got a call on my company cell (already 30-minutes past
quitting time) from the owner of a large, popular "sit-down" restaurant. *She
had been calling the restaurant all day but getting "nothing". *As it turned
out, the caller would hear the line ringing but there was never an answer.

Being AT the Central Office when I took her urgent call, I "shoed" the pair
(metered the cable pair with the C.O. battery disconnected) and it looked good.

I drove the few miles to the PACKED restaurant and walked into the main dining
room with my tool-belt slung over my shoulder. *The two, middle-aged hostesses
were overjoyed to see me.

I reached over to the Trimlinetm-style cheapie chirper phone and grabbed the
handset. *The dialtone was just fine. *I then grabbed the base/cradle of the
set and turned ON the ringer switch. *It had been off. * "Trouble" fixed.
--
JR

Climb poles and dig holes
Have staplegun, will travel

being a service tech myself its amazing the wierd troubles that occur.

had one lady dump all the toner out of her copier twice to clean it
she didnt like dirt....... although that black dirt is what made the
copies.....